Posts Tagged ‘atlanta auto accident attorneys’
Monday, November 16th, 2009
Expert Advice from Experienced Atlanta Auto Accident Attorneys
Don’t wait until you’ve been struck by a negligent driver to take the necessary steps to establish your claim. There are a few things you should be prepared to do in advance in the event you are in an automobile collision.
(1) If Injured: If you or anyone else involved is seriously injured, call 9-1-1 and get emergency assistance immediately.
(2) Insurance Information: Get the other driver’s insurance information. Whether you are hurting or see serious damage at the time of the collision or not, you should exchange insurance information. If you come to find later that you have a more serious injury or there was damage to your vehicle that was not immediately visible, you need to know who to contact.
(3) Photograph Evidence: Keep a camera in your car, even it’s only a disposable one. If you are in a collision and you believe the other driver was at fault, you want to have photographic evidence of the damage to your vehicle and any other vehicles involved. Photographs will also show road and weather conditions, as well as the location and layout of the road where the particular collision occurred. If you or any passengers in your vehicle sustained visible injuries, photograph those as well.
(4) Communicate Carefully: Limit your communications with the other driver to making sure he/she is okay and exchanging necessary information. Even if you believe you were at fault, avoid apologizing or taking responsibility before you know all of the facts. Often times details emerge later on that reveal negligence or fault on the part of the other driver as well.
(5) Gather Information: Be sure to get the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of any witnesses to the collision. This might include other drivers, passengers, or bystanders. Be sure that when you are speaking to the police they take down the information and statements of the witnesses in their Incident Report as well.
(6) Medical Attention: Do not wait to get medical attention. If there is any possibility that you were injured, get checked out immediately. Delays in treatment can be detrimental to any case in which another driver was at fault for a collision. Even a delay of a mere day or two can be costly to your case.
(7) Speak with an accident attorney: Often times insurance companies will try to settle your claim before you know the real extent of vehicle damage or injuries. Typically, once an agreement is entered into you cannot bring a claim in the future regardless of the injuries you may discover that you did not know about at the time.
At Hollberg & Weaver we are experienced in providing expertise to our clients when they are the victims of automobile collisions. Contact us to make sure you preserve your rights and receive a fair recovery.